Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Importance of the "F" Word by Sara Grant



This is proving to be a busy week on this blog. First Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick provided a guest blog and now it's the turn of our old pal Sara Grant.

This is Sara's second blog here. Last time it was for her dark YA fantasy, Dark Parties. This time Sara is talking about her latest books for younger readers which I will be reviewing here very soon.

And now over to Sara!

 

The Importance of the “F” Word

Writing a series can be a complex tangle of details and deadlines. At one point I was writing the storyline for the fourth book while editing the second draft of the third, reviewing illustrations for the second, and checking the proof for the first. I was endeavouring to create a world and develop characters with unlimited story possibilities. I had to consider the overarching story that would weave through all the books while crafting a satisfying plot for each. I had to discover that intangible something that readers would find in each book – but somehow have each story be fresh and original.

As I wrote, I developed a ‘bible’ for all the details to make sure I was consistent. It included – among other things – a cast list, floor plans, a map of Little Witching, a history of Trix and Holly’s friendship, the rules for the Sisterhood of Magic, rhymes for a variety of spells, and ingredient lists for potions. (What magical spell uses Dalmatian dog slobber?) And then I obsessed over every word as one does when polishing any manuscript. How many times can you use the word ‘sparkle’ in one book, for example? 



Phew…

Yes, writing my new series for young readers Magic Trix was all that, but it was also an absolute joy!

Magic Trix follows the adventures of ten-year-old Trix, who discovers she has the gift of magic. With her invisible familiar – a crazy, sparkly kitten named Jinx, Trix trains to become a fairy godmother. But her first attempts at magic go horribly and hysterically wrong. The first two books in the series – The Witching Hour and Flying High – were published on World Book Day. The next book – Birthday Wishes – is out in early May.

Magic Trix couldn’t have been more different from previous work. My debut novel Dark Parties is a dystopian tale of rebellion. My next novel for teens – titled Half Lives – is an apocalyptic thriller, published by Orion this May. I love the challenge of crafting these dark, edgy tales for teens. Could I get in touch with my magical sparkly side? Did I even have a sparkly side?

Creating Magic Trix has reminded me of the importance of the “F” word – FUN! When deadlines threaten and your inner critic keeps you awake at night, you can lose sight of this fundamental ingredient for creating fiction for children.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I was eight years old when I wrote my first story just for the fun of it – and I have been writing ever sense. But when writing becomes your job, if you aren’t careful, you can let the magic of storytelling be usurped by the business of publishing. I never for one minute forget how lucky I am. I have the best job in the world. I get to do what I love and have a blast doing it!

I hope my amusement comes sparkling through in the pages of Magic Trix. I loved creating Trixibelle Morgan with her wacky view of the world. I also adored imagining part of the story from the point of view of Trix’s scatty and delightful familiar Jinx Jingle Jangle. They reminded me that the reason I write – the reason I’ve always written – is for the pure unadulterated joy of storytelling.  

  
Many thanks to Sara for sharing this with us and I can't wait to get on with reading the books!



1 comment:

  1. Fun is sooo important. And a girl can never have enough sparkle ;-)

    ReplyDelete