Sunday, July 26, 2009

Would you believe it?


One of my novels, Strife, starts with the local bandstand disappearing.

That idea came to me about four years ago but, because I was busy with other things at the time, I parked it for later. Shortly before I started to write the novel, I noticed bits and pieces in the local paper suggesting that the bandstand in the local park was going to be demolished. Apparently the structure was no longer safe. That kicked off a campaign to ensure that if it could not be saved it should, at least, be replaced by another bandstand of similar type. The campaign has a petition and a facebook group. The council are still considering what to do, but if you would like to help please do sign the petition and join the group.

So now, of course, writing my novel became an increasingly urgent project. Its aim isn't to save the bandstand, but if it helps, that's all to the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment